Saturday, June 4, 2011

okay, so I'm a failure at regular blogging, but....AND outlawing language

I'm back here to brag a little tiny bit. And to post the link for The Guidebook, which is where my poem "Homesick" has been published, and where they will also publish my first poem translation of an Italian poet. So stay tuned.

I'm also going to work on getting daily poems going for the summer. Stay tuned for that too, those faithful followers of mine who haven't heard from me in more than half a year deserve something for not abandoning me altogether.

And here's something to think about,

I'm editing a book on Basque Politics and have just finished the section on all of the ways that the Spanish and French states have tried to extinguish Basque language and culture for good. Although many were sweeping acts of legislative tyranny, one in particular has grabbed my attention. On September 25, 1936 the (Spanish) military commandant of Lizarra (a Basque city known to Basques as 'Estalla' (city of stars) put an ordinance in place that prohibited the use of the Basque word 'agur' which means 'good-bye'. I think, for that reason alone, if there was ever a word that deserved its own poem, it would have to be 'agur'. I'll begin to work on it!

No comments: